A mass funeral for the sixty girls who were recently killed in a deadly bomb attack targeted at a school in Kabul’s neighborhood was held on Sunday. The incident occurred when the students were about to break their Ramadan fast after the daily school routine. A car bomb exploded outside the Sayed ul-Shuhada school in Dasht-e Barchi, a Shia-dominated suburb in Afghanistan. Witnesses claim that as rescue efforts were underway, another blast and motor fire ripped through the scene, killing some rescuers and injuring others.
Witnesses of the Afghanistan terror attack
According to a resident, Rahim Dad, body parts and books were scattered across the area, along with wailings and cries from the victims who had been injured. The deadliest attack came just a week after 21 children were killed in a separate incident in Logar province, south of Kabul.
Dr. Ali Sadaat, the funeral organizer, told Arab News that they buried sixty girls, all of whom were students at Sayed ul-Shuhada. He went on to say that the students were passionate about learning and that they mourned the loss of those innocent souls who might lead the nation to greater heights in the future. The assault was horrific, with some students being beheaded and others had their faces mutilated beyond recognition.
Taliban refutes claims of being responsible for the recent Afghanistan terror attack
So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack; however, President Ashraf Ghami blamed the Taliban, who refuted the allegation in a public statement. A Daesh network, according to the Taliban, was behind the attack. Daesh shooters killed 24 people at a maternity ward in Dasht-e Barchi last June, including babies, mothers, and nurses. Daesh also took responsibility for a November assault on Kabul University, which left 32 people dead.
In an interview with Arab News, Shamsuddin, an elderly resident of Kabul, expressed his dissatisfaction with Afghanistan’s current state of insecurity. Terrorist organizations, he said, are targeting people in a variety of places, including classrooms, libraries, wedding halls, and mosques. His main concern was how long the crisis would continue before a peaceful solution could be found.
Violence has recently erupted in Afghanistan, fuelled by the US decision to delay the withdrawal of its troops from the country until September, rather than the original deadline of May 1st set by Washington and the Taliban last year.
The US-Taliban Agreement for a peaceful Afghanistan
The Taliban vowed not to allow its troops or other insurgent groups to conduct terrorist attacks within Afghanistan as part of the US-Taliban agreement. However, in light of recent incidents aimed at unarmed civilians, the talks seem to be based on false assurances from the latter. The government maintains that the Taliban carried out the attacks in revenge for the United States’ decision not to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan any time soon.
According to a statement attributed to Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada, the notorious Taliban leader, the world must bear witness to the repercussions of the recent attacks and keep America responsible for failing to stick to the agreement. This backed up the government’s recent claims that the Taliban and its allies were behind the attacks.